Developer: Team XBMC
Platforms: OSX, IOS, Windows, Linux, Android coming soon...
“XBMC Media Center is a free and open source cross platform media player application developed by the XBMC Foundation, a non-profit technology consortium. XBMC media center software is available for multiple operating-systems and hardware platforms, featuring a 10-foot user interface for use with televisions and remote controls. It allows users to play and view most videos, music, podcasts, and other digital media files from local and network storage media and the internet.”
What is it?
Simply put XBMC is the multiplatform, open source answer to Microsoft’s Windows Media Centre. This program lets you view and organize all of your digital media in one place.
Does it work?
Yes and honestly speaking it is one of the best open-source programs out there. It does exactly what you would want it to do and more.
- Easy Setup
- It is currently available on many OS’s (OSX /OSXPPC, Linux, Windows, Apple TV & Apple TV 2, IOS, XBMCBuntu and soon to be on Android)
- Plays many media formants
- Lots of Plug-ins
- Collects Meta Data with out 3rd party programs
- UI is Very Clean and customizable
- Many Skins
- Supports Remote’s
- Works with Media Stored on a Network
- Music Player is a bit Sluggish
- Currently no Android Version
- I couldn’t for the life of me get the Rom Browser to work…
- Appears Xbox360 Connectivity is a no go
This is an Awesome Media Center app. It has pretty much everything you would want out of one. It plays many file formats and does it smoothly. I store most of my media on a network storage drive and it plays them without any problem. The only issue that I have noticed was that it has to load a lot while browsing music. I also couldn’t for the life me get the Emulator browser plug-in to work… There are probably Tutorials on YouTube or something but it wasn’t that important to me.
UI - 5
Features - 5
Stability / Performance - 4
Ease if use: 4.5
CNET Average Score: 4