How to Make an eBook from a PDF File
I’ve been getting a lot of questions lately of how to make an eBook from a PDF file. My first though was why you would want to do that, seeing that most eReaders can already read PDF files but I guess that not really answering the question. The simple answer to the question is to use the application Calibre.
Here is a simple tutorial....
Step 1: Download Calibre
- Go to http://calibre-ebook.com/
- In the Navigation bar Click Download
- Choose your operating system
- Install Calibre
Step 2: Find the PDF that you want to turn into an eBook
- Google is your friend
Step 3: Launch Calibre and import your file
- Click on the Calibre Icon on your desktop to launch the app
- Click and drag the PDF file from your desktop to the Calibre app
- Right click on the file you just placed there
- Choose “Edit Metadata Individually ” (Skip this step if you are converting a real book)
- Enter the Meta data (if you are converting a real book just choose Download Metadata and it will do all of this for you.)
- When the meta data is the way you like It click “OK”
Step 4: Converting the PDF to eBook *Note – that eBooks come in a verity of formats, for example the kindle format is .mobi, and standard eBooks come in ePub. Good thing that Calibre Converts to pretty much all major formats.*
- Right click on the file you want to convert and choose “Convert books Individually”
- From here you get a verity of customization options but I’ll keep it short, look in the top right corner where it says output and choose the file format that you want.
- Click ok at the bottom and it will begin to convert. The duration will depend on how big your file originally was and the processing power of your computer.
- You can monitor the process but looking in the bottom right corner and clicking on jobs.
- Once done you can right click on the book and choose “open containing folder” to locate the newly created eBook.
- You’re done (now all you have to do is transfer it to your eReader and you are good to go!!!